Have you tasted the zeal of craft beer? Introducing Yakima Glory

At the risk of sounding like a motivational speaker or a guidance counselor, I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that it always pays to challenge yourself. Today’s illustration of this being Yakima Glory.

Let me state, for the record, that Yakima Twilight, as the Glory was named last year when it was released, has been our most popular seasonal release to date in that it sold twice the volume we expected in its inaugural season. That is rewarding to all of us at Victory. But most rewarding has been the journey and accomplishment of the underlying challenge behind this delicious, dark ale.

We jumped into the uber-hoppy ale waters with the release of Hop Wallop in 2003; Ron and I were thrilled with the ale as a vivid expression of fresh, whole flower, American-grown hops. It was exactly as we wanted it to be, floral, assertive and refreshingly lean in its malt profile. Content with Hop Wallop, we looked forward to each winter and the release of this celebration of Mother Nature’s bounty of hops.

But dark thoughts began to stir in our minds, or more accurately, thoughts of dark malts. Since the development we have also had some tantalizing success with hoppy beers where the hops have had to share the limelight with dark malts. Brews like our Ten Year Alt and one-off Schwarz Pils (soon to come ’round again…) intrigued us to venture into a deep but bright land where dense, dark malt flavors and brassy-bright hops might harmonize. With effort indeed, we found such a place in Yakima Glory.

With my case of Yakima Glory substantially lighter than when it was opened last Thursday night, I am here to tell you that this is also a rewarding beer for the drinker of it. Floral hops battle mightily with the roasted malts for initial attention and the two tussle right down the gullet, only to be resolved in blissful harmony when your senses clear. It is deceptively dry in its impression, goading you in to maybe a bit more volume than you normally might indulge in such a strong ale.

So reward yourself with some tasty Yakima Glory even if your search for this fast-selling brew is challenging.

Cheers,

Bill

Note: Yakima Glory is available in for wide release in all 30 states that carry Victory beer. The option to offer Yakima Glory, or any Victory brand, is up to the individual retailer (bar, grocery store, bottle shop, liquor store, etc.) If you’d like to insure that Yakima Glory makes it to your area call your local retailer and wholesaler (click here to find the wholesaler in your state).

7 Responses to Have you tasted the zeal of craft beer? Introducing Yakima Glory

1. Chad October 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM #

Fabulous stuff. But one question, why the name change?

2. Andrew October 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM #

fingers crossed that it arrives in long island

3. Van Boerum November 12, 2010 at 2:03 AM #

I'm in love

4. Sydd November 16, 2010 at 6:15 AM #

My new fave!! Why oh why do us hop heads have to end up with the best ones being seasonal? Found it as Yakima Twilight for the past 3 cases and then all of a sudden it's named Yakima Glory but still rang up as Yakima Twilight. So clue us in on the name change. I had to go check the dates on the previous cases to see how old they were and found indeed I had the tail end of last year's batch of Twilight (just made it under the wire on the Enjoy By date). Still excellent right up to (and I'd wager, well past) the date on the case. But that was the original point of the IPA wasn't it? Brewed to last the journey.

Big fan of Old Horizontal too, keep that IBU count high!

5. Alex December 19, 2010 at 11:35 PM #

Take it from me, a serious beer drinker, this beer is more than delicious. MM mm Mm.

6. ted bundy February 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM #

this is garbage and it cost me nearly $40 for the case. try it at your local pub before buying some if you never had it before.

7. Gaspasser December 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM #

Where is it? I look forward every year to this been in the late fall early winter. I can’t find it on the shelves of my favorite beer store along with all the other Victory beers. My only complaint is I’d like it more if it were about 1% lower in ABV.