You Ask, We Answer

We get so much feedback and so many ideas by listening to our consumers and fans. You all make recommendations, provide constructive criticism and even give us some much-appreciated praise. In the interest of reciprocating, we plan to share our thought process with you.

Beginning with this post, we will compile and answer your questions about our brewery, beers, business decisions and more on a monthly basis. Send your burning questions to brewmaster@victorybeer.com and we will address them in an upcoming blog.

Without further ado, you asked and we answered…

Q: Where can I find your beers?

A: Please use our nifty Beerfinder page to search for our beers in your area. If you have any trouble locating us in your region, wholesaler information is also available on the web here.

Q: How many calories are in a 12 oz. bottle of HopDevil?

A: Some of our beers are more calorie-friendly than others. Here are the calorie counts per 12 ounces of our most popular brands:
Golden Monkey: 270 calories
Headwaters: 160 calories
HopDevil Ale: 215 calories
Prima Pils: 165 calories
Storm King Stout: 290 calories
Summer Love: 160 calories
Sunrise Weiss: 175 calories
Victory Lager: 145 calories

Q: Have you ever considered making a gluten-free beer?

A: We have yet to taste one we liked, but we have not given up on the idea. We are always searching for ways to create a gluten-free beer worthy of the Victory name.

Q: I have been a big fan of Victory almost since the day you began marketing your wonderful beers. I lived in Germany for four years, and I have a built-in preference for your brews. In particular, I adore the Saints (St. Victorious and St. Boisterous). In fact, the main purpose of sending this email is to plead for St. Boisterous to become a year-round offering. I must say I consider St. Boisterous to be the absolute best beer available in the USA! I would appreciate anything you could do to make this happen!
~ Dave

A: Thank you for praising the saints (couldn’t resist). Victory seasonals do sometimes make the leap to being a year-round product. In fact, Hop Wallop and Storm King Stout both started as fall seasonals. In both cases, we noticed that our wholesalers continued to order them even after the last batch had been brewed and sold. And in those cases, there is no reason not to have a strong hoppy beer year round. Unfortunately for our friendly bock lovers, the popularity of St. Boisterous has not warranted going year round. Also, because the beer style is a Maibock, the reference to May almost ensures it staying a spring seasonal.

Q: I’m a home brewer and smoked beer lover. I smoke my own malt. I’m very interested in smoking wheat malt. Can you share any advice, tips or recipes for a homebrewed smoked wheat beer?
~Adam

A: We actually do not smoke our own malt, so we cannot offer you much information regarding its crafting. We purchase our smoked malt from a maltster in Bamberg, Germany called Weyermann. They smoke the finished malt using beechwood.

Note: We receive many questions about our beer recipes. At Victory, we thoroughly believe that great beer is inspirational and classic beers inspired our own homebrews over 20 years ago. This said, we do believe that the creative scientific mind should remain free of tutorials (from us at least) to create the beer they envision. Clone books are great training and some authors have reverse engineered quite well, which we certainly applaud, but have decided to leave it in their inspired hands.

- K.N.

24 Responses to You Ask, We Answer

1. mark June 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM #

Would you consider doing a year round Dunkel similar to say a hofbrau or ayinger. You seem to tackle the german style well and there are so few good American dunkels?

2. Jason C. June 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM #

Thanks for the info, as painful as it is. My partner and I attend a Phillies spring training game this past March, and were pleasantly surprised to find a Victory kiosk serving HopDevil on draft. Over the course of the afternoon, we each downed 5 24-oz drafts (we’re both big guys, btw), which apparently translates to a whopping 2150 calories of hoppy goodness. No wonder I felt a bit bigger on the way home!

3. dawn July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM #

are you going to do another Brew B-Que this year? The one where you hosted a 2 catagory BBQ contest?

4. Ian Fraser July 11, 2011 at 4:45 PM #

I have loved your beers as a homebrewer here in California for some time and in fact I think your Baltic Thunder to be one of the best American versions of the style to be found anywhere! I would love to try the Saints to see how they stand up if you could send some out this way! Thanks for all the great styles we do get!

5. Greg Yenner July 11, 2011 at 7:32 PM #

Wondering what are Bill and Ron’s favorite mash-ups of their own beers? I think I invented “Fire On the Water” by mixing Scarlet Fire and Headwaters…

6. Terry G July 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM #

I’m hearing “No more Wild Devil” This can’t be!!!

It would be like France losing a cheese; their government would fall.

Say it ain’t so.

Terry G

7. victory July 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM #

Dawn,
    Yes! We are doing another BrewBQ. Here’s the info: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1871302115. Enjoy!

8. Zak August 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM #

2 questions –

1) Is there any chance that your recipe for Hard Times Lager will ever be used again. I’d love to taste Victory’s version again (the stuff at the Hard Time’s Cafe isn’t as good…)

2) I bought a case of 10 Years Alt in either the winter of 2008 or 2009. I opened a bottle recently and it has aged quite well. Have you brewed 10 Years Alt since your 10th anniversary in 2006? I just wanted know if I ‘m drinking 5 year old beer or something more recent.

Thanks!

Zak

9. Mary October 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM #

What is your lowest calorie beer?

10. Victory October 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM #

Mary, Donnybrook Stout is our lowest calorie beer with 125 per 12 ounces. Victory Lager is second at 145.

11. Sean October 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM #

How many calories in Festbier? It’s excellent. by the way – just tried my first. Thanks!

12. keith November 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM #

What happened to the wallops cant find any in south jersey. I am dying

• Victory November 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM #

Hi Keith,
      If you can’t find any near you, ask your local distributor to place an order. The more they hear your demand, the more likely they are to stock up. That said, we did have a slight delay in Hop Wallop packaging a few weeks ago. The scheduled packaging was delayed one week in order to package Dark Intrigue. You could be experiencing a lag because of that.

13. Qa Program August 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM #

I think that you were right on with this article. You put a nice twist to it. Thank you for the info Victory.

14. Michael November 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM #

Hi,
    just tasted you really marvellous Wallop Hop Ale. Extraordinary dry hopping I would say.
    My first impression: Citra. Am I right, are you using significant amounts of that hop? Are you willing to tell more about your hop scale together with this fantastic IPA? Would appreciate that.

15. Jim December 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM #

Wow, your highest and lowest calorie beers are both stouts. What accounts for the difference?

16. Brian Decker January 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM #

can you send me the nutritionals for Hop Wallop?

17. Mike R January 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM #

I’d love to hear that the Saison Du Buff will be available in Wilmington, DE soon. The beer finder Indicated it was around. Any plans to make it happen?

18. Chris July 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM #

I know this is an old post, but any updates on brewing a gluten-free beer? I agree its very difficult to find a good true gluten-free beer, as most are sorghum based.

19. Martin Spitznagel November 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM #

Thanks for the calorie info! Very helpful.

20. Christina March 23, 2014 at 3:03 PM #

Do you have a breakdown of the macronutrients (like grams of carbs ) in your session saison?

• Victory Brewing Company March 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM #

Hi Christina. There are 11g of carbs in each bottle of Swing Session Saison. Cheers!

21. Samantha April 9, 2014 at 6:42 AM #

So dissipointed there’s no gluten free option yet – I wasn’t pleased with the answer above either- of course a true beer drinker won’t like gf!! It’s missing the best part if only you could offer a cider or another brand in the mean time I feel dumb when my friends go to happy hour at your restaurant and I have to drink soda every week – Sad in downing town!

• Victory Brewing Company April 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM #

Hi Samantha! We are sorry to hear that. We do offer great, local wines in our restaurant! Please give one of those a try next time you visit us. Cheers!