Dark Wednesday Recap

We’d like to thank everyone who came out to Victory to celebrate Dark Wednesday with us. The line of Dark Intrigue enthusiasts started to form at 6:30 a.m. One of our earliest liner-uppers left Richmond, Virginia at 3:00 a.m. to secure his place. One beer-loving duo stayed up all night, drove from near New York City and arrived in Downingtown at 4:30 a.m. They slept in their car until another early-riser woke them up at 6:30 a.m. and ended up second and third in line. Still others traveled from North Carolina, Oklahoma and Colorado.

Photo Credit: @JeffTincher

We had a great time talking with all of our beer-loving travelers and with the more than 400 avid beer fans who celebrated the release of Dark Intrigue with us. Despite a few scattered showers, hundreds of people joined in the Dark Wednesday festivities. Thanks to our friends at One Village, we were able to keep them warm with free coffee. And our own Victory Brewpub provided some tasty treats to enjoy as we all waited for sales to begin. The doors opened promptly at 11:30 a.m., and by 2:30 p.m. all the cases of Dark Intrigue were all gone.

Photo Credit: Downingtown Dish

If you weren’t able to make it here to get your Dark Intrigue and partake in the fun of Dark Wednesday, check out what Downingtown Dish and IDrinkGoodBeer.com had to say about the event.

The brewery allotment of Dark Intrigue sold out in just three hours, but more cases are leaving the brewery on trucks today, headed to 18 states across the country. If you’re looking to give the bourbon barrel-aged Storm King Stout a taste, contact your local wholesaler or use our beerfinder. DISCLAIMER: Beerfinder only reports on where the beer has been delivered in the past 60 days. If you see Dark Intrigue listed at your local retailer, call them to ensure they haven’t sold out yet.

And to those of you who came out and waited for Dark Intrigue, thank you again for helping us to make such a successful, fun event. Cheers!

9 Responses to Dark Wednesday Recap

1. Adam Smith November 28, 2011 at 9:49 PM #

dang wish I could have been there. I will call all my local shops till I find some in NJ!

2. Giap Edwards November 30, 2011 at 8:06 PM #

I was lucky enough to have both daughters stand in line for me…in the rain…for 4 hrs. They got a case for me and even paid for it. They won the daughters of the year award! We opened one on Thanksgiving and plan to open anothers at Christmas and New Year. One question: I am storing them in the dark corner of the basement, laying horizon or vertical?
    Love it.
    G.

3. Victory December 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM #

G.- What nice daughters you have! We recommend storing them upright and drinking them within 5 years. Cheers!

4. Andrew December 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM #

An observation on Dark Intrigue – I sampled a bottle of it alongside a 12oz bottle of Storm King. While certainly the Bourbon Barrel aging contributed some additional flavors to the beer, I also was left with the distinct impression that Dark Intrigue was a somewhat mellower and more rounded beer than straight Storm King. Compared side by side, Storm King seemed more brash or biting.

Which makes me wonder if bottle conditioning Storm King might produce a similar result, just without the Bourbon contribution. Also it presumably would be easier to produce than Dark Intrigue was, since you wouldn’t need to dedicate time and space to the barrel collection, and you already do bottle conditioning with Helios and V12.

5. Ben December 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM #

Hi!
    I picked up a few, much anticipated, bottles of Dark Intrigue again.
    I’ve seen it written that you won’t brew this again. But I haven’t seen a reason why, so I thought I’d ask. Why won’t you brew this again? It’s fantastic and I’ve seriously waited all year for this one. Thanks for brewing it!

6. Mark December 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM #

Many were turned away now local wegmans are selling it cheaper than brewery. Great release.

7. Victory December 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM #

When we were planning Dark Wednesday, the first thing we did was look over what Victory fans said about last year’s release, because we truly value the opinion of the people that drink our beer. One of the main complaints we saw was that there was such a significant price discount on cases that it encouraged people who might only buy a bottle or two to buy a full case. With everyone buying a case, we ran out of Dark Intrigue much more quickly than anticipated, leaving many unhappy Victory fans without the beer.

This year, when we set the pricing, we decided not to discount case purchases in order to avoid what happened the previous year. We did not anticipate that wholesalers would discount cases.

We appreciate our fans more than we can express in words and had a great time getting to know them on Dark Wednesday. We sincerely apologize about the pricing and are looking at this as a learning experience for our next release. While we cannot refund the difference in price, we hope that you will enjoy the Dark Intrigue that you have enough to continue to patronize Victory.

8. mcslain December 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM #

Had a great time at Dark Wednesday. I got there around 11, saw the line and was blown away. So I just went inside and drank a few on tap rather than risk getting shut out. The atmosphere in Victory was great, lots of beer nerds to talk to. I talked a bunch to the guy who drove up from VA that you mentioned. Also some guys from Gettysburg, a group from State College, and a bunch of other places. Real fun time… and I was even lucky enough to grab a few bottles (from the last case) on my way out as the line had died down.
    I think it’s great that you guys have addressed some of the concerns people had. Primarily that the cost of the bottles have most commonly cost less outside of Victoty. I heard a guy say he bought a case for $110 pre tax, not sure if that is true, but I’ve personally seen it for $130. Then again, I know of a place that right now has it on sale for $210 pre tax. So some constructive criticism… I think the $7.50 micro pours were a little steep, you should have more for sale at the brewery, it should have been the same price or cheaper than any distributor might sell it for, and you should have had multiple cash registers going to move things along better. I also tend to think you need to really concentrate on making the home base happy even though you are growing. (like brewing Old Ho for at least the brew pub!) But all in all a great time. And the beer is really good too, it is better than last years. A shame it is going away forever…

9. Bryan December 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM #

I thought your handling of the release was extremely poor and misleading. You made it sound like the brewery was the only place to get the beer and then tell everyone you are only selling 300 cases in a blog post during the the middle of the night before the release. I waited in line with a friend and my daughter in the rain and was told I probably won’t get a case but I can wait it out, which took forever. Did you have one credit card machine? Then I was handed a crappy bumper sticker. I ended up calling my local distributor and got a case for $30 cheaper. Nice work on alienating your customers. I planned on going there to get a case and eat lunch. Instead you didn’t get any of my money. Needless to say, I’m done enjoying Victory beers.