19 Things You Might Not Know About Victory

In honor of our 19th anniversary, we wanted to share 19 little known facts about Victory with all of you! Enjoy!

1. Victory Brewing Company was originally conceived as Independence Brewing Company.

2. Ron and Bill used to deliver beer in our first truck.

3. Victory was said to have the longest bar in Chester County when we opened as it measured about 70 feet. We wanted to be sure the thirsty throngs could belly up and quench their thirst for Victory!

4. The Jerk Grinder has been on the menu since we opened the restaurant.

5. Bill and his dad built our original hearth pizza oven, though their first attempt at constructing the oven collapsed into a heavy mess.

6. The gymnasium lighting in our original restaurant made our French fries look a bit green. Really. People noticed.

7. Golden Monkey was originally brewed to celebrate Ron’s third child, Gordon.

8. Victory used to sell cigars.

9. The late beer writer, Michael Jackson, visited our brewery on two occasions.

Screen shot 2015-02-13 at 10.39.26 AM
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest

10. Bill’s father performed as general contractor for the original brewery and restaurant.

11. We had a restaurant manager who, prior to working here, managed a strip club. He also always carried a firearm.

12. The original bottling line is still in use today by Four Peaks Brewing Company in Tempe, AZ.

13. We eliminated smoking in our restaurant in November 2006, before any state ban, based on the legitimate concern that the often subtle, always delicious flavors and aromas of our beers were being severely compromised by the smell of burning cigarettes.

14. The original brewhouse is still in use today by Weyerbacher Brewing Company in Easton, PA.

15. From the corner of the original bar you could see into the fermentation room before the 2008 restaurant renovations. It was from that vantage point where more than one former Pepperidge Farm employee told the sad story of their co-worker being ground up in a chocolate processing machine.

16. Victory used to have two pool tables at the end of the 70’ bar on the way to the dining room.

17. In 1997, Victory required $25,000/month in wholesale beer sales to break even.

18. The Golden Monkey wears Lederhosen.

GMlabel-square-300x300
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest

19. Dustin Watts and his wife won our first “Beer Olympics.” They drove up from Athens, Georgia to participate because they loved our beers. Dustin was, and still is, the VP of Sales for Terrapin Beer Company in Athens, Georgia.

11 Responses to 19 Things You Might Not Know About Victory

1. Bill C. February 15, 2015 at 4:42 PM #

Wow, THIS made me feel old! All good memories, though!

• George McAllister February 18, 2015 at 11:43 AM #

You are old! Remember it all and so much more, happy anniversary, already planning on being there for 20th!

2. Paul Wish February 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM #

Learned a lot about The G-Monkey.

3. Kathi Caffrey February 15, 2015 at 5:31 PM #

I’m glad the jerk grinder is still served, one of my favorites from the beginning. I remember the original brewpub, lots of good memories! Now if you would only bring back my favorite beers on a regular basis: Sunrise and Whirlwind! Mad King is not a substitute for them.

• Dorothea Covaleski February 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM #

Oh, I remember it well! Those early years, the work, the success! Congratulations, Bill & Ron, on achieving your dream! May you continue on your journey – Onward and Upward! Dot C.

4. Michael D. Matthias February 18, 2015 at 4:29 PM #

I opened my dental office a few miles down the road on the same day 19 years ago after digging out from the blizzard of 1996. I used to see Bill and Ron a various chamber events when we were all “small time”. Each of us hosted chamber events back in the day.
    I first tasted victory beer at a festival in West Chester and immediately knew victory beer was awesome and decided to visit the brewpub. The first time my wife and I pulled up to the parking lot it was loaded with motorcycles on a Thursday afternoon. I peeked in the door and saw the crowd and the pool tables and assumed a rough crowd. We did not enter and drove up to Valley Forge Brew pub that night. We “man-ed up ” the next week went back to Victory and loved it. For the next 6-7 years we practically went there ever Friday night. Hop Devil is still my “go to” beer after 19 years. I have since moved my dental practice to Delaware and know that I created thousands of smiles over those years. My wife jokes that Bill and Ron have created millions of smiles over those same years. Cheers!

5. Dan Pierce February 18, 2015 at 7:58 PM #

When will the Victory in Kennett Square be open? My growlers are empty and I drive by the place every day going to work.

• Madeline Rice February 24, 2015 at 11:24 AM #

Hi Dan! Spring of this year!

6. Ed Tatios February 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM #

The good old days when it wasn’t uncommon to see the owners out in the brew pub enjoying themselves… I have been to most of the anniversary celebrations but somehow missed this one… This email hit after the fact… Hope you are doing something special for the 20th! Great beer and great owners… a Victorious combination!

Ed

7. Larry Tracy February 19, 2015 at 3:07 PM #

The original jerk grinder was great as well as the pizza selection. Also the windows should have stayed for a view of the brew kettles behind the original bar. Looks like a long narrow hall(to the restrooms) .There is a disconnect with that side of the place and no view of the bar area. Agree Sunrise and/or Whirlwind should return as well as Hop Wollop.

8. Rod Rydlun, happy share holder July 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM #

Congrats going on 20 yrs w/ consistent 20% growth! Proven brews and management. Would like more info on Victory’s “Beer Olympics” please?
    To me, 22 distinctive brews on tap, Kennet Square, Parkesburg, merchandizing,
    Hop Wollop, all smack of Olympian performance. All smiles. Got my ‘druthers!