Victory Is Brewing … New Beers Announced, Changing Autumn and Winter Offerings

DOWNINGTOWN, PA – Victory® Brewing Company (Victory) is pleased to announce several additions to its lineup of packaged beers hitting the market this fall, including a new year-round offering, DirtWolfTM Double IPA, and holiday seasonal ale, Winter CheersTM. The brewery also will return an old fan favorite to the market, Old Horizontal®, after a hiatus in 2012 and 2011.

Known for melding traditional styles and unique concepts to produce the highest quality, full flavored beers, Victory’s newest brand releases will continue this standard of innovation and excellence.Unknown-8

Wildly assertive, intentionally untamed and dangerously satisfying, DirtWolf Double IPA is the culmination of Victory’s double IPA series experiment with whole flower American-grown hops. With two-row German malts and a well-balanced combination of whole flower Citra, Chinook, Simcoe and Mosaic hops, this 8.7% abv brew blends the powerful citrus aroma and fruity flavors, with the piney, earthy and mildly floral characteristics found in these intriguing hop varieties. Replacing Victory’s Hop Wallop® Ale, which will take a hiatus from the market for the time being, DirtWolf Double IPA will launch the brewery’s entry into four-packs when it begins to hit markets in October.

“So a wolf and a prospector walked into a bar…,” joked President and Brewmaster, Bill Covaleski.  “No, in all seriousness, Hop Wallop will be missed, but isn’t necessarily gone forever. We developed that brand 10 years ago as our flavorful response to the hop-bomb vogue of the time.  But as brewers who enjoy experimenting with beer styles and ingredient varieties, we looked for the opportunity to do other interesting recipes as time passed. Making the decision to put Hop Wallop aside for a few years allows us to bring this delicious new double IPA, DirtWolf, to the market in bottles.”
Unknown-9
Light in body with a soothing texture, Winter Cheers is a stark contrast from the pungent punch of DirtWolf.  A wheat ale, combining German wheat and barley malts, oats, torrified wheat and whole flower Tettnang and Citra hops, this fruity and warming holiday brew delivers a refreshing finish, with spicy hints of banana, clove and citrus.  At 6.7% abv, this beer will fuel “festive times and chase winter’s chill,” and will be available in 12 oz. bottles (six-packs) and on draft, beginning distribution in October as well.

Barleywine fans also will enjoy the return of Victory’s Old Horizontal, hitting shelves again in November of this year, this time in 22 oz. bottles.  With floral, fruity aromas and lingering sensations of candied and citrus fruit, the late warming effect of this 11% abv brew delivers a harmonious finish.

“Our fans have spoken, and we were listening,” Covaleski continued, addressing demand for the return of Old Horizontal by many Victory-faithful.  “As we look toward the completion of our second brewery in Parkesburg, fans can expect several of our vacationing brands to make a return, along with many new and exciting recipes and styles.”

Other notable fall releases from Victory include:

• Victory Festbier®, the award-winner malty Märzen style fall seasonal, making its way into markets now, in 12 oz. bottles and on draft.
  • Red ThunderTM, the returning wine barrel-aged Baltic ThunderTM hitting the market in mid-August. Available in 750 ml bottles and on draft.
  • Storm King® Stout, repackaged and available in four-packs and on draft in October.

Victory Brewing Company is a privately held craft brewery headquartered in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. Begun by Bill Covaleski and Ron Barchet, childhood friends who met on a school bus in 1973, the brewery formally began operations in February of 1996. Victory, Pennsylvania’s widely acclaimed brewery and restaurant, now serves fans of fully flavored beers in 30 states with innovative beers melding European ingredients and technology with American creativity. To learn more about Victory Brewing Company visit us on the web at www.victorybeer.com.

###

47 Responses to Victory Is Brewing … New Beers Announced, Changing Autumn and Winter Offerings

1. David M August 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM #

No chance for a return of Dark Intrigue?

• Dan August 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM #

This is the only beer I crave. I know how it sounds, but Dark Intrigue even turned my mother on to trying beer other than Dos Equis! It’s just THAT good.

2. JP August 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM #

What about Moonglow? That’s the one fall beer I look forward to (from any brewery) more than any other!

• Mike November 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM #

Moonglow is on tap now (11/23/13) at the brewery! Six packs should be available as well.

3. Kevin W August 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM #

Can’t wait to sample Dirt Wolf and Winter Cheers! Gotta ask though, who decided to yank the old Original Wings from the menu at the brewpub? This is a BIG mistake that needs to be corrected immediately!

• Doc August 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM #

100%

• BBGuys September 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM #

Yes, and also the weeknight wing specials.

4. Hawk August 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM #

I second the inquiry on Moonglow. Hands down my favorite beer and look forward to it every year!

• Groat September 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM #

Let me be the third for Moonglow. It’s still listed on the site, so I’m hopeful it’ll be around this fall. If I recall correctly from last year, Moonglow doesn’t hit the shelves until late fall (Oct-Nov timeframe). As long as it’s still available this year, I might almost forgive them for putting my favorite spring seasonal, Whirlwind Wit, on hiatus.

5. chris August 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM #

Will you still be releasing yakima glory in bottles? Its my favorite beer of the fall/winter season.

• gcrow September 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM #

Actually, Yakima Glory and Hop Wallop have been discontinued. Sorry for your loss.

• Justin September 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM #

Completely agree. Love Yakima glory!

6. Greg August 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM #

This is great and all (I certainly love double IPA’s), but where was Whirliwind this year? Summer Love is good, but it’s no replacement. What about Moonglow next month?

7. Burt Benenson August 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM #

I’m especially looking forward to the Winter Cheers. I’d also like to see the Midlands Stout made permanently available. And, while I’ve got your attention, I’ve lately developed a strong preference for the Flemish sour red ale made in Belgium exclusively for Monk’s Cafe in Center City. Have you guys ever considered giving this style a try?

8. Mike F. August 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM #

Please put Old Horizontal in 12oz bottles also. One of the reasons its is loved is because is a very great price for six pack of very good barleywine. 22oz are over priced and too much beer at 11% to drink all at once.

• @mtnbke August 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM #

I agree with Mike F!

So glad you brought it back, don’t forget to package in reasonable sizes and make it affordable!

There are lots of overpriced 22oz bottles of Barleywine on the shelves of the LBS gathering dust. The sixers of OH used to fly off the shelves!

Thanks!

• Randy November 27, 2013 at 6:16 AM #

Was glad to see Horizontal back on the shelves again. Agree with others – bring back the 6 pack. 22oz are overpriced. If I recall – 6 packs in OH were $12. 22 oz bottles are 6.99. So do the math 12.5 cents per ounce or 32 cents — ouch!

9. Kevin August 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM #

Another vote for Moonglow!

10. Josh V. August 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM #

Oh no…the dreaded four pack! Hopefully less expemsibe than the cutrent six-pack price? Otherwise all this just seems like any other big business downsizing their product to make more profit. I guess we’ll see…. Hopefully not the case, but with Old Ho staying at 22 oz., I’m fearing this is the beginning of the end. Victory Beer is good- but not at the expense of fair pricing.

11. Horace wallop August 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM #

Not at all thrilled at the loss of Hop Wallop.

• Nate L September 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM #

I agree, I am saddened to hear that Hop Wallop will be going on hiatus. It is by far my favorite Victory beer to have on tap at my house.

• malfunx September 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM #

agreed , this saddens me.

12. OG September 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM #

Mmmmmm……….Moonglow!!

13. Ken September 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM #

Glad to hear OH is coming back. I will be plotting my beer run to stock up.

14. Carter September 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM #

Yeah, Moonglow is one of my favorite beers of all time. Hoping its still around. Curious to try DirtWolf, but it’s hard for me to get excited for IPA’s anymore. There are sooooo many.

15. Keith September 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM #

This unseasonably cool weather has me dreaming of Moonglow. Hope it is finished soon.

16. Brian September 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM #

Please don’t get rid of Hop Wallop! If something has to go, I nominate Victory Lager. Losing Hop Wallop will be like losing my first-born son (except sadder)!

17. Steve September 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM #

Hope Hop Wallop really does return someday, I have been getting 2 sixtels a month. Really really look forward to my case of Moonglow every year.

18. Sasquach September 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM #

It isn’t a stretch to say Moonglow is my favorite of all seasonals….

19. Robin September 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM #

So missed the Moonglow last year!

20. Larry September 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM #

Have to agree about the move to four packs. Not a good value if it prices @$10-12 bucks. You can buy a six of Flying Dog Raging B!tc# for that price with a high ABV

21. jimbo October 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM #

would be a shame if Moonglow does not make an appearance

22. BigLou October 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM #

truly saddened by hop wallop’s departure. :(

23. pj October 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM #

mOoNgLoW ! !

24. mab October 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM #

I would really love to see moonglow this fall! I is my favorite beer to drink during the season!! I hope its not gone for good!!

25. Kevin B October 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM #

Why are they charging so much for this in the chicago suburbs? Both Liquor stores in town just got this in today and its 17.99 for the four pack

• Victory Brewing Company October 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM #

Hey Kevin! Thanks for reaching out with this question. Our Chicago Area Sales Manager is looking into this and will be in touch for more info.

Cheers,

26. Thea October 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM #

I am very, very sad to hear about Hop Wallop. This is one of the first few real craft beers I ever had…definitely had a hand in making me into the beer nerd I am today. My favorite Victory brew by far. Please bring it back soon. I just bought a case, and I can’t believe these will be my last for who knows how long. I have a hard time finding a good truly hoppy, yet still balanced, beer. There’s always some other lingering flavor in so many of the extra hoppy beers..but not in Hop Wallop. Just good, fresh, bitter hop taste. Such a tragedy to see it go.

27. Dan in DC October 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM #

4 Pack Marketing

Hate the 4 pack marketing strategy. Give me a 6 pack and charge me more if you have to. I stopped buying the fantastic Green Flash West coast IPA for this reason and will not purchase victory products packaged in 4 packs either (despite my love of your brews). Also, sad to see the Hop Wollop go, hopefully it will be back soon.

28. Drezz October 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM #

Moonglow is easily my favorite seasonal, ever. Please bring it back.

29. Matt A October 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM #

One of your most loyal Storm King Stout drinkers here — I scour downtown Manhattan for a six pack when my usual sources run out. But really, if you’re going to pull the old charge-the-price-of-six (or even five) for-four trick and insult your customers, who already pay dearly for your fine beers, I’ll find another brew. Don’t crap on your customers.

30. Dave M October 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM #

Still no word on whether Moonglow will be back this year. I’ve even emailed Victory almost a week ago and no response.

• Victory Brewing Company November 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM #

Hi Dave, thanks for reaching out and sorry we missed your question! We’re happy to announce that we are producing a small batch of Moonglow this fall, but unfortunately, production limitations prohibit us from distributing it widely across our distribution footprint. Stay tuned for more information on an exact release date, and remember you’ll be able to use our Beerfinder tool on the homepage of our website to find if establishments near you are serving Moonglow on draft.

Cheers!

• Groat November 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM #

Very glad to hear this. Count me among those who will be eagerly awaiting its release.

31. Willy December 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM #

Also not happy with the move to four-packs. A marketing race to the bottom (for consumers) as far as I’m concerned. I will fill growlers at Ottos and fore go the Victory lines that move to this packaging. Don’t follow those fishy dogs!

Who would have thought that selling beer at Wegman’s and Giant would lead down this path in PA? Will reasonably priced case beer be a thing of the past? Maybe it already is.

32. Jim December 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM #

While I am saddened by the demise of Hop Wallop, I am outraged that Yakima Glory is no more. Doesn’t Victory owe its loyal customers some explanation? By the way, just tried Dirt Wolf and found it very average.

33. christian July 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM #

you can not discontinue hop wallop it’s my favorite, why would you do that?!?!?!?!?